Training Course (TC) FAQ
- Why attend a training course on Decommissioning of Nuclear Facilities? The process seems rather easy to undertake and straight forward as well.
- What is and what is not included in the TC registration fee?
- How do I register for a TC?
- How can I pay the required registration fee for a course?
- Are you accepting foreign currencies for payment?
- Which are your Tax ID and Company Reference?
- I can't pay using any of the methods mentioned above. What now?
- I am not sure if I may qualify for a reduced rate. How do I find out if I qualify?
- Can I stack discounts in making payment of my registration fees to attend the TC?
- I am attending an on-site TC at Argonne; are there any special requirements to access Argonne during the TC?
At the Course
- I cannot attend personally the scheduled course. Can I send a substitute?
- When can attendees cancel and under what conditions?
- Under what rare circumstances could a TC session be cancelled?
- Will I receive a Certificate upon completion of the course? And what about Continuing Education Units (CEUs)?
- Are you offering a "Decommissioning Certificate" Program?
- What is the attire needed for the TC?
- What time does the class start/end?
- What about lunch during a TC?
- What languages are used to deliver training?
- Can we audio record or videorecord the TC?
- Is there a guarantee that I will be given access to facilities/sites to be toured as part of a particular TC?
- Who is the TC Director and how can I contact him? [back to top]
- The TC Director is Lawrence E. (Larry) Boing.
Read Larry Boing's Executive Bio
Lawrence E. Boing
Director, Decommissioning TC
Argonne National Laboratory
Building 208 - G112
9700 South Cass Avenue
Argonne, IL 60439-4814, USA
Phone: +1 630-252-6729
Fax: +1 630-252-7577
- Why attend a training course on Decommissioning of Nuclear Facilities? The process seems rather easy to undertake and straight forward as well. [back to top]
- The training course serves to pull all relevant resources together in one place, presented by seasoned presenters to allow attendees to quickly understand the breadth of the decommissioning process. These resources have traditionally been scattered among many different valuable references, prepared by many different entities - some including regulators and others implementers. Many past attendees have remarked at how involved this process is - and how valuable the course was to assisting them in getting through difficult to navigate process areas that they initially had not fully understood and thought would be no problem.
The expression - 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure' - is appropriate - it was relayed to us by a group of past attendees as they prepared to start a project.
Read also "Why attend?" to discover more reasons why attending one of our Training Courses should be in your list of career objectives.
- What is and what is not included in the TC registration fee? [back to top]
- The TC registration fee includes one
electronic copy of the TC materials. Namely: the TC registration
fee includes either 1-USB stick or 1-CD containing the main training
course materials. Paper copies of the training materials can be purchased for an additional $200 USD.
People registering only as exhibitors will not receive a copy of the training materials.
The attendee is fully responsible for all travel related costs (lodging, per diem, etc) and all other attendance-related costs. Course prices do not cover travel or accommodation costs. Attendees are responsible for making transportation and hotel arrangements.
- How do I register for a TC? [back to top]
- First check the list of the upcoming TCs in our TC calendar page and see which is the most convenient for you. You can register directly for the required course/location via the online registration form accessed directly when you select one of the "Register" links in our website. If you have any questions or prefer to speak with the TC Director directly, please submit your query via the "Contact us" link. See also previous Question for a list of all contact coordinates to get in touch with the TC Director.
- How can I pay the required registration fee for a course? [back to top]
- Credit Card payment: We accept online credit card payments (accepted: Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Diners Club, American Express).
- Check payment: Corporate and personal checks are also acceptable for payment.
Once you have registered submitting the online form or faxing its pdf equivalent, make a check payable to "Argonne National Laboratory"
and mail it at least 2 weeks before the dates for the course to the following address:
Attention: Conference Services
9700 South Cass Avenue
Argonne, IL 60439
United States of America
- Other accepted payment methods: Purchase Order, DOE SF 182 and NRC Form 368.
- Are you accepting foreign currencies for payment? [back to top]
- NO, we only accept payment in US dollars.
- Which are your Federal ID and Company Reference? [back to top]
- Company Reference
UChicago Argonne, LLC
Federal ID number
- I can't pay using any of the methods mentioned above. What now? [back to top]
- If you will not be able to pay the registration fee using any of the above methods, please contact the TC Director prior to the training course (see above for contact coordinates).
Attendees wishing to pay via bank transfer must have completed the online registration first. We can send the bank information for a wire transfer payment only after you have officially registered for one of our training courses requesting to pay via bank transfer.
- I am not sure if I may qualify for a reduced rate. How do I find out if I qualify?
- Universities and other small businesses may qualify for a reduced rate. If you believe that you or your company might qualify for these rates please contact the TC Director (see above for contact coordinates).
- Can I stack discounts in making payment of my registration fees to attend the TC? [back to top]
- Attendees qualifying for a reduced rate (universities, small businesses) will not be eligible for additional discounts off the reduced rate.
In other words, stacking of discounts (reduced rate + other discount) is not possible.
- I am attending an on-site TC at Argonne; are there any special requirements to access Argonne during the TC? [back to top]
- YES. Please see “Requirements to Access Argonne Site”.
- I cannot attend the scheduled course. Can I send a substitute? [back to top]
- This is acceptable – but please forward the details of the replacement to the staff. See also next Question.
- When can attendees cancel and under what conditions? [back to top]
- If an attendee has registered for a course and can no longer be present, he/she can nominate a replacement to attend. All requests to substitute a replacement must be received in writing and should be emailed to TC Director (see above for contact coordinates) no later than 5 days before the TC starts. We require that the request include the new attendee's name, email address and telephone number.
- No-shows are non-refundable, but can be rescheduled.
- Under what rare circumstances could a TC session be cancelled? [back to top]
- On the rare occasion that we must cancel a session:
- We will post an update to the website as soon as possible to reflect the training course cancellation.
- Those already registered will be sent an email notifying them of the cancellation and a request for a 'confirmation of receipt' of that emailed Course Cancellation Notice be sent to us. In other words: if an attendee receives the Course Cancellation Notice email s/he must confirm receipt of that email.
- All attendees are required to provide -at the time of registration- a secondary point of contact at their organization for Argonne to contact and notify of the cancellation as well in case the first notification cannot reach the registered attendee.
- Questions are to be addressed to the TC Director:
Larry Boing, TC Director
Phone: +1 630-252-6729; Fax: +1 630-252-7577; Email:
- Will I receive a Certificate upon completion of the course? And what about Continuing Education Units (CEUs)? [back to top]
- Our TC is useful to obtain the required continuing education credits for on-going education requirements that the various professional certifications and sanctioning bodies require - such as the PMP, CHP, PE and others.
Upon completion of your course, you will receive a certificate of completion. If you need any certifications or letters to support CEU credits we will be more than happy to assist you however we can. The American Academy of Health Physics has granted 16 credits for this course. We will be happy to assist attendees in providing to them whatever documentation they need to request receiving CEUs for this training. Any questions should be addressed to the Course Director (see above for contact coordinates).
- Are you offering a "Decommissioning Certificate" Program? [back to top]
- YES, since Apr. 1st, 2009.
For more information visit the "Decommissioning Certificate" Program page. The "Decommissioning Certificate" Program is a new certification program being offered jointly by Argonne National Laboratory (Argonne) and Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU).
- What is the attire needed for the TC? [back to top]
- Casual business attire will do.
- What time does the class start/end? [back to top]
- Generally speaking we try to bracket the daily training period 830 AM - 400 PM for the days activities - however - on some days we do run longer than that. Typically on the last day we are finished by 300 PM at the latest unless we have a site tour planned.
- What about lunch during a TC? [back to top]
- Lunch is typically handled individually by attendees.
- What languages are used to deliver training? [back to top]
- All courses are delivered in English.
- Can we audio record or videorecord the TC? [back to top]
- There is no videotaping or recording of any material allowed.
- Is there a guarantee that I will be given access to facilities/sites to be toured as part of a particular TC? [back to top]
- Tour access to facilities/sites to be toured even as a part of a particular TC by the TC participants is solely at the discretion of the operating organization at which the tour is being offered. We cannot and do not guarantee access to any site/facility for that tour - that access authorization is based solely upon the site or facility access authority and their requirements and conditions for access. We apologize in advance if this causes anyone difficulties.
Tour of Nevada National Security Site (NNSS) included at the end of the Classroom sessions for TC sessions held in Las Vegas, NV: The Tour is only open to Argonne "Facility Decommissioning" Training Course attendees. Attendees wishing to participate in the NNSS tour will have to submit additional paperwork. Based on our experience with past attendees: SUBMIT ALL PAPERWORK AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE (even before registering for the Training Course) to ensure your spot on the tour. If paperwork is not submitted by the deadline, you will not be able to attend the tour (= you won't be granted access to NNSS and we cannot add you to the list of Tour participants). For more information: DOE Nevada National Security Site (NNSS) Tour
[TC Lodging ]