D&D Support to Outside Customers
Argonne National Laboratory’s D&D Projects Group has been providing technical support to various DOE organizations, including:
- Tokomak Fusion Test Reactor at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory,
- Los Alamos National Laboratory,
- Brookhaven National Laboratory,
- Savannah River Site,
- Mound Site,
- Battelle Columbus Laboratories,
- Hanford N Reactor,
- West Valley Demonstration Project, and
- MIT Bates Accelerator Facility Decommissioning Planning Study.
Additionally, the Argonne D&D Projects Group provides technical support to various non-DOE organizations, including:
- NASA, for the decommissioning of a research reactor at NASA’s Plum Brook Research Facility (see below)
- the International Atomic Energy Agency,
- the OECD/NEA Technical Advisory Group on Decommissioning,
- the U.S. Army Aberdeen Fast Pulsed Reactor Facility, and
- other foreign reactor facilities.
NASA-Plum Brook Reactor Facility Decommissioning Project
A team of Argonne D&D subject matter experts have been assigned to the decommissioning of the NASA Plum Brook Reactor Facility (PBRF) for over the last 5 years, providing direct technical support to NASA in the areas of construction management, radiation safety, licensing and quality assurance oversight, and industrial safety.
In addition, two D&D training courses were developed and taught at the NASA project site, several years apart, as part of the training of newly assigned project personnel.